Capture Workshop – Vet
Our wildlife capture field workshop is for veterinarians interested in free-ranging conservation and management. If you are physically fit, enjoy strenuous outdoor work and a high level of adrenaline, this is the workshop for you!
On our workshop, you will learn professional and humane animal handling during capture. Through lecture presentations and fieldwork, we will teach you practical techniques to maximize field success and minimize risk to people and animals.
Classroom topics will include chemical and mechanical game capture, drug delivery systems, immobilization drugs, and field anaesthesia procedures. And your hands-on experience will include darting practice and wildlife captures in free-ranging situations.
Types of Captures
Depending on what captures are available at the time, your capture experience may range from a nighttime lion capture to catching several hundred antelope in a day. All captures are done for legitimate management reasons. Your participation in captures will be as extensive as possible, limited only by field conditions, the species being handled, and safety issues.
We will work with very dangerous wild animals in free-ranging situations. We try our best to ensure your safety, however, you participate in captures at your own risk and you must act responsibly.
You MUST be a graduate veterinarian
Many of our hands-on activities require a high level of physical fitness. For safety sake, you are expected to be able to sprint short distances (100meters), run medium distances (200 meters), climb over 2 meter (6 ft.) fences, and have a great deal of endurance!
The captures you will participate on will expose you to rough conditions. You must be prepared to be up very early, working outside, in the sun, doing physical work most of the day. And you will have the time of your life!
- Collection and drop off at Eastgate Airport, Hoedspruit, Limpopo Province (formerly the Northern Province), South Africa (easiest means of arriving)
- Nine days full room and board at the Parawild Camp on a Game Farm (running hot water, dormitory style showers)
- All equipment and drugs to be used
- Transportation to and from captures
- Gate and entrance fees at parks
- Workshop training manual on wildlife capture
TUITION DOES NOT COVER
- Airfare (but we can recommend a travel agent)
- Bar tab (we have some great African beers)